The Guilford Keeping Society collects, preserves and shares the history and heritage of Guilford, Connecticut for present and future generations.
Click here to see our Barn Again program in the Guilford Courier
Click here for the donation form for the Tavern Barn Restoration
Click here: See our Tavern Barn on Fox News (National news)
Click here for the video to accompany the above story!
The Society maintains and operates: The Thomas Griswold House Museum, which includes a circa 1774 New England saltbox house, an early blacksmith shop, a large barn filled with farm implements, two corn cribs and a Victorian three seat privy or outhouse.
The Medad Stone Tavern Museum which was built in 1803 by Medad Stone to serve as a Tavern. As the Boston Post Road was not rerouted that way it never opened. The building has 14 rooms and 10 fireplaces. The Guilford Keeping Society inherited it from Len Hubbard in 2001. It was decided to restore it and open it as the "Tavern that opened 200 years late." The property also holds a barn, corn crib and extensive fields. It is located at 197 Three Mile Course.
Call for further information - 203 453-2263
Along with the buildings, The Guilford Keeping Society maintains an extensive collection of Guilford history: photographs, journals, diaries, daybooks and other memorabilia mostly housed in the "Guilford Room" of the Guilford Free Library and available for use by the public for research or browsing.
Annually, in October, the Society sponsors an Antiques Festival & Sale featuring up to 50 quality dealers exhibiting 18th, 19th and 20th century furniture, glass, silver, textiles and china.